Home About EIS →

WoW Armory Data Mining: The Next Generation

The clustering of WoW Feral Druid forms (Bear on top, Cat on bottom)

Over at the Armory Data Mining blog, a plucky computational biology PhD student under the name of Darush has taken a look at some World of Warcraft Armory data and run some fascinating transformations to analyze the number of Druid players that favor bear form vs cat form when they play World of Warcraft. Note that this is inferred from statistics choices, it is not a simple flag that is set in the data itself.

I’ve been looking forward to seeing someone move beyond the common averages and deviations that are commonly performed on WoW Armory data; there’s so much more there than that!

A highly recommended read for anyone interested in the golden nuggets buried in that data set.

About the author:  Chris Lewis is a British PhD student researching the intersection of software engineering and video game development. Read more from this author

This entry was posted in Deconstructions, Games, Gaming Culture and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink. Both comments and trackbacks are currently closed.

4 Comments

1. Zardoz
    Posted March 2, 2010 at 3:53 PM | Permalink

I really appreciate guest posts over at my armoury datamining blog and would welcome anybody with serious stats skills who’d like to have a poke around in the data. Just leave a comment on the blog and I’ll get in touch by email.

There’s a ton of interesting a’correlatin’ and a’clusterin’ to be done if anybody has some spare time and energy.

Alas, while I do understand databases, I’m a bit statistically-challenged, which is annoying me greatly at the moment.

2. Posted March 2, 2010 at 5:38 PM | Permalink

Zardoz: You and I appear to have similar skill sets :)

One thing to consider is getting an off-the-shelf text book (I like Introduction to Data Mining by Tan, Steinbach & Kumar) and finding some open-source data mining software (lots of people like Weka, I like RapidMiner myself) and just experimenting!

My personal feelings is that data mining is a lot about asking the right question, not just finding the right answer. Having the WoW domain knowledge will help you form the right questions, then how to get to the answers becomes much easier.

3. Zardoz
    Posted March 2, 2010 at 5:46 PM | Permalink

Thanks. I’m going to try and pick up the skills I need over the next few months or so. I’m looking at undergraduate-level textbooks and I’ll check out the one you mention. There’s also a lot of online resources to use as well.

I’ve downloaded ‘R” and looked at Weka. I’ll have a look at RapidMiner now.

But feel free to invite any statistician you meet to get in contact with me… there’s plenty of fun to be had for any academic type out there who likes to play with data.

4. Jared
    Posted January 25, 2011 at 7:32 AM | Permalink

Hi there

I have had 6 years in the statistical research field, drop me an email and we can work on something together :)

Best regards
    Jared
    The MMO Gamer

One Trackback

• By Mining the World of Warcraft Armory on April 24, 2010 at 3:09 PM

[...] say “until recently”, because Zardoz and Darush, who I covered previously, began some of that exciting, deeper data mining. I’ve been concurrently working on similar [...]